Using your story
Using your personal story is a great way to raise awareness and to challenge the stigma surrounding viral hepatitis
Patient stories are an important way that we can reduce stigma and discrimination and raise awareness of viral hepatitis.
We spoke to advocate Philip Baldwin about he uses his story to raise awareness.
When writing-up the patient case study story you can ask the following questions to help get the
information you need:
- When did you first get diagnosed with viral hepatitis and which type of virus was
- What made you go and get tested?
- Did you know much about viral hepatitis and the risk factors before you were diagnosed?
- Describe your emotions and how you felt when you got diagnosed?
- Describe your treatment pathway and how effective the medications were?
- Following diagnosis did you experience any stigma from friends / family / work colleagues?
- How has your life changed now and how healthy do you feel?
- How has hepatitis affected your life overall?
- Why do you think World Hepatitis Day is so important?
- What do you think are some of the biggest barriers to increasing diagnosis?
- If you could do one thing or pass on one piece of advice for others what would it be?